The most proven method of clarifying an organization’s objectives lies in the simple art of goal writing. Yet, most managers and employees struggle with connecting goals to strategic initiatives and tend to either overthink the process or confuse goals with activities.
Understanding the mechanics of a SMART goal is easy. Goals should be written in a manner that is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely.
Here are eight basic tips to keep goals not only SMART, but also simple to use and as effective as possible.
8 Ways to Simplify your SMART Goals:
- Keep the number of goals per-employee to a manageable level. Most companies cap employee goals to no more than 6 per year.
- Make sure the goals are aligned to a strategic business initiative. This gives all employees a sense that their role contributes directly to company success.
- Make sure the goal has impact, and is not just another activity or task found in a job description.
- Have your employee take the first cut at writing the goal. You will find that your employee will write more of a ‘stretch’ goal than you will and is more inclined to achieve it, as essentially it was their idea.
- Build in metrics where possible. This will eliminate any ambiguity or subjectivity.
- Visit the progress towards the goal often. Give your employee the resources and remove any obstacles that get in the way of achieving results.
- Provide goal writing workshops and training in best practice performance management techniques.
- Reward and recognize as appropriate.
Goal Writing is Critical for Employee Performance.
Effective goal writing is an integral part of the total performance management process. In addition to the primary role of enabling companies to execute to their strategic plan, goal setting gives employees a sense of purpose, strengthens engagement and improves overall performance at the employee, department, and company level.
When is it a Good Time to Write SMART Goals?
The process begins now! Take a look at your organization’s ability to set SMART goals and put a plan in place to align all employees to set those goals that drive strategic results. Goals can be set any time and throughout the year and when you do, you’ll see immediate results.
Want to know more about writing SMART goals? The Pendolino Group can help you and your team with not only SMART goals, but also performance management and strategic visioning and planning.
Call us on (888) 726-1414 or send us an email for more information.